The Convent of The Sacred Heart School
New York, NY
The Convent of the Sacred Heart School comprises two landmarked buildings. The Kahn Mansion (1918) was designed by J. Armstrong Stenhouse and C. P. H. Gilbert. The design emulates the papal chancellery in Rome. The Burden Mansion (1905), a Beaux-Arts townhouse was designed by Warren and Westmore, the architects of Grand Central Station. The program entailed the analysis of, and recommended remediation for, historic limestone and mortar fragmentation, and limestone-paved courtyard replacement. The project was awarded a preservation award by the NY Landmarks Conservancy.