Jefferson Market Branch Library
New York, NY
Built in 1874-77, Jefferson Market Branch Library is an icon of Greenwich Village and High Victorian Gothic design. It is often cited as one of the first examples of adaptive re-use, converted from a courthouse to a library in 1961. In conjunction with an exterior envelope investigation, SUPERSTRUCTURES performed a structural assessment of the front gable and rafters. A full exterior restoration addressed brick, sculpted sandstone, slate roof repair, cast iron ornament, structural stabilization of the main gable and tower roof and water infiltration. The restoration project was awarded a Lucy G. Moses Preservation Project Award for 2013 by the New York Landmarks Conservancy.